15 January 2010

The curse of Haiti

I guess I’m not the only one to wonder about Haiti. Right-wing televangelist Pat Robertson is apparently also wondering if Haiti is cursed – the problem, though, is that Robertson thinks the country is literally cursed, as in condemned by God for its sins. The BBC quotes him:

They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it’s a deal. . . . Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other.

I’m quite impressed that Robertson was able to get access to Satan’s records on this issue; I was under the impression that use of the Infernal Archives normally required the forfeit of the researcher’s immortal soul. Perhaps Robertson would be willing to investigate the Adversary’s involvement with Molotov and Ribbentrop on his next trip down to the archives, since he’s already paid the price of admission...

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, what's with this man. Can't anyone stop him? However, If you ask me I am quite sure the devil didn't say okay it's a deal, but he said, "oui, bien."

    Interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bien sûr, le Diable ne parle que français!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune published a letter from Satan to evangelist Pat Robertson, responding to this very issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from Robertson's comments, I wish the US--under what's his name??--had responded to Katrina's victims as quickly and effectively as it did to Haiti's catastrophy. By the way, he has volunteered, along with Bill Clinton, to head a find raising effort. Maybe he can learen something along the way. Never too late...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Erica:

    “Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract. Best, Satan.” I love that. I don’t know Lily Coyle from Minneapolis, but somehow I think I’d like her!

    ReplyDelete